- USA: We’re likely to see travellers packing their bags for the United States in 2015. 90% of Australian travellers** have a bucket list destination and New York has come out as the number one bucket list destination. New Year’s Eve in New York is the favourite event people would like to attend (25%).
Top destinations on Australian travellers’ bucket lists according to Wotif’s How Are You Travelling Survey:
1. New York
Paris mai oui!
- 58% of Aussies** say they prefer a beach or coastal holiday. We expect travellers will be lured abroad to beach and island destinations like Phuket, Hawaii and Fiji. This trend has already begun, with recent Waikiki and Honolulu bookings up year on year*. Wotif.com’s new Fiji and Phuket holiday packages are predicted to prove popular with Aussie travellers, due to the savings that can be made by bundling air and land into a package trip.
Malolo, Fiji. Bula!
· Malaysia: While travellers have been jetting off to Thailand to see the country’s temples, culture and beaches, our hot international travel tip for travellers is to go off the tourist track and plan a trip to Malaysia. We recommend exploring the rainforests and beaches on the islands of Borneo and Sabah or wandering the markets and visiting the temples in Penang or Langkawi.
- Given Aussies love to holiday at the beach, we predict the Gold Coast will remain an enduring favourite in 2015.
- Cultural travel is set to inspire Aussies. Theatre travel packages are a great excuse for a long weekend or mini break. Wotif.com is the exclusive travel partner for some of the country’s most in demand events including the Disney’s THE LION KING, WICKED the Musical, Les Misérables, Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical and Aida on Sydney Harbour. Travellers are taking advantage of Wotif.com’s theatre packages which combine the best tickets, flights and a hotel, or land only hotel and ticket packages and planning a theatre holiday in 2015.
- Food and wine escapes are becoming more popular. While the Barossa, Hunter Valley and Margaret River wine regions are the obvious choices, holidaymakers are increasingly likely to explore the emerging wine regions like Tasmania (which made it in the top three best domestic destinations in the Wotif.com’s How Are You Travelling Survey) and Queensland’s Scenic Rim.
- With fitness and healthy living being popular buzz words, we predict outdoor travel and adventure will be popular next year. Our hot tip for keen hikers, bushwalkers and travel adventurists is to plan a summer or spring holiday to the Snowy Mountains. There’s more to the Snowy Mountains than skiing – it’s a great holiday destination to go walking through the national parks, hiking up Mt Kosciuszko, mountain biking and cave exploring.
All comments from Wotif.com spokesperson Kirsty La Bruniy:
*Based on Wotif.com accommodation booking data for 1 January – 28 October 2014.
** How Are You Travelling Survey, July 2014