Tuesday, September 30, 2014

BASEL FLEA MARKETS


 
Guest blogger Lee Mylne talks the talk and walks the walk . . . .

Among the best ways of staving off jet lag when you arrive in a far-flung place, so they say, are walking and sunshine. And I love to walk, so when I landed in the lovely Swiss city of Basel in the early morning - too early to check into my hotel - I looked for a way of keeping occupied (and awake) after my 30-something-hour trip.

 



The helpful receptionist at Hotel Krafft Basel suggested that if I wanted to do something that most tourists would miss, I should head to the local flea market. It was a Saturday morning, the sun was shining, so I set off for the short walk across the Middle Rhine Bridge from the hotel. Using a map provided by the hotel, it was easy to find my way to the market, set under the trees in the lovely Petersplatz square.
Much like flea markets anywhere, a lot of the stalls seemed to be people selling off their no-longer-useful stuff. Toys, clothes, shoes, mirrors, paintings, old vases and tea sets, books and more. But there were a few more interesting items too, including an accordion and quite a few chandeliers.


 
 

After browsing for a while, I decided that by the time I got back to the hotel, I'd have exposed myself to enough daylight to help reset my body clock and should be able to make it through until bedtime. Bearing in mind that in the European summer, sundown is not until around 10pm!

The Petersplatz Flea Markets are held every Saturday from 7.30am to 4pm.
 
Follow Lee Mylne's blog: A Glass Half Full www.aglasshalf-full.com
 
Read Lee's report on Swiss hotels in 2015 in Get Up & Go.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment