Tuesday, April 17, 2012
2012 - the Year to Visit Britain
Only 100 days to go before the beginning of the London Olumpic Games - and us Sydneyites, proud of our Games - wish them well and a great success.
But besides that - there are 100 GREAT anniversary reasons to visit Britain this year - here are the first 10:
1. Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 60 years on the throne -
2. Bond is 50 - he doesn't look it but Britain's dashing secret agent makes it to half a century this coming October in Skyfall.
3. Dickens is 200 and the museum of London recreates Victorian London to celebrate.
4. Shakespeare is 400 - double the age of Dickens. Britain is going Bard crazy with the World Shakespeare Festival inviting over 60 theatre companies to perform in myriad languages; Visit which presents 37 plays in 37 days in 37 languages.
5. The Sandwich is 250 - it was invented in Britain.
6. The Titanic sank 100 years ago. Belfast's new museum is the toast of the town - see the interactive displays and breathtaking recreation of the ship's dining room.
7. The Beatles released their first single 50 years ago - yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah . . .
8 The craziest take on the Olympics, the Cotswold Olympicks began the same year that Shakespeare was born in 1612. Madcap sports events make it one of Britains quirkiest attractions.
9. The Science Museum celebrates the 100th anniversary of the birth of Alan Turing, a pioneering computer scientist.
10. 40 years ago the musical Grease opened on Broadway - whats that got to do with Britain you ask? Leed's castle, a majestic attraction will screen the hit film as part of its Jubilee festivities.