Mudgee is in the Cudgegong Valley in mid-west NSW.
Mudgee Region Tourism Inc has compiled a list of its ‘Top 10 Green Travel Ideas for 2012’ to encourage people to take a clean, green and environmentally friendly holiday in the region. Visit Australia’s first organic winery, go bird-watching, take a tour in a National Park, join a bike tour and stay in eco-friendly accommodation. To leave a low carbon footprint and feel good about saving the planet, try these ideas on for size:
1. Visit Australia’s first organic winery - Botobolar was Australia’s first certified organic winery and you can now visit its new cellar door and shop in town at ‘Botobolar Wine & Things Organic’
2. Go Bird-watching at Munghorn Nature Reserve - 35km north east of Mudgee this bird-watching area is home to 160 species including the rare Regent Honeyeater, lyrebirds and emus
3. Cycle with Green Pedal Tours - Mudgee’s flat, vine-covered landscapes are perfect for cycling and Green Pedal Tours run half to seven day guided or self-guided tours
4. Star Gaze at Mudgee Observatory - witness the wonders of the stars and distant galaxies, away from city lights, from the powerful telescopes at this unique spot
5. Stay at Goulburn River Stone Cottages - stay on the banks of a river in a self-contained timber and stone cottage, and soak up the sounds of native flora and fauna
6. Eat from within 100 miles at the Mudgee Farmers Markets - buy local and seasonal produce at the renowned Mudgee Farmers Markets held on the 3rd Saturday of every month
7. Walk from Rylstone to Kandos - a scenic seven kilometre path connects the two country villages of Rylstone and Kandos, pack a picnic with local produce and enjoy it by the river
8. Farm Walk and Wine Dinner at Lowe Family Wine - David Lowe is a wine guru and shares his knowledge and wine-making secrets on regular Farm Walks and Wine Dinners
9. The Drip at Goulburn River National Park - walk through a cathedral-like atmosphere at The Drip, a towering sandstone cliff-face dripping clear spring water into the rocky river bed
10. Dine at Market Street Café - this new café in town is a champion for sourcing locally and seasonal produce from within 100 miles including Ormiston Free Range Pork
The Mudgee Region is a 3.5 hour drive from Sydney in Central NSW or a 40 minute with Aeropelican.
To book any of these activities and for more information go to www.visitmudgeeregion.com.au or contact the Mudgee Region Visitor Information Centre on (02) 6372 1020.