Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Spin me a yarn . . .




I was walking to the train station last week and spied a post that had been 'graffiti'd' with knitting. What is happening in my suburb?
I love the fact of 'Yarn Bombibng' and did some research on the creative craft.
It's called Yarn Bombing, Yarnstorming or guerrilla knitting and is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colourful displays of knitted or crocheted cloth rather than spray paint.
Graffiti knitting groups have been spreading all over the world and the practice is believed to originated in the US with Texan knitters finding creative ways to use up their leftover wool.
The movement is said to be changing the face of craft - I hope so - this is so much fun. And to see my post code proudly wrapped around a light post made my heart swell with pride. Who is the phantom knitter? You legend you . .
If anyone out there has seen the results of Yarn Bombing please send me your comments - have you seen them on your travels? Which country has the best, most creative 'graffiti? tell us all about it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bev, plenty of yarn bombing in New York - of course! My favourite last year was the pink & purple wrapping of the famous bull on Wall Street. The "artist" thought the statue was too macho & needed a feminine touch.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/fashion/creating-graffiti-with-yarn.html

    ReplyDelete