Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cousin It has left the building


Looking through some pics I took in Canada I came across this shot that was taken not far from Quebec city. This is the house that the Adams Family home was modelled on. Isn't it crazy - but with a couple of cars in the background and it being daylight - it's more benign than spooky.
I've just put a magazine called Discover to bed. This little treasure will be available from all Travellers Choice travel agents - read all about it. One of the featured stories is on the best places to buy food in Paris . . . and talking of Paris, where did you have your best meal there. Did you go to a restaurant, cafe or did you go shopping and have a picnic in your hotel room?

6 comments:

  1. 弱者困於環境,智者利用環境~~加油!.........................

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favourite meal was of course cakes at Laduree and Pierre Herme. Eaten in the Hotel room on the bed. I remember the heat, it was so warm and the cakes almost collapsed on the way to our mouths but it was so good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not Paris but in the quaint Vietnamese riverside town of Hoi An, where we ignored the restaurants packed cheek-by-jowl with diners clutching their Lonely Planets and instead strolled beside the Thu Bon River to the Cargo Club (107-109 Nguyen Thai Hoc). There, on an upstairs balcony, we had ample elbow room with romantic river views and a fabulous five-course dinner. It was a magical night at negligible cost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite meal was crayfish thermidor at the Cape Town waterfront. Come to think of it, does anyone know of restaurants in Sydney and surrounds that would serve this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: The enjoyment of food depends on where you are and the circumstances in which you find yourself, of course. One of the best meals I had was when I was a student in South Africa, hitching from Cape Town to Johannesburg. Freezing, in the middle of winter, I waited by the roadside in a remote spot in the Cape for eight hours for someone to give me a lift. A group of African workers took pity on me and invited me to share their meal: sheep's innards on a stick barbecued on an open fire. I was so ravenous it was wonderful, and I still remember their generosity.

    Another favourite meal of mine is yum cha at the East Ocean restaurant in Sydney's Chinatown. Fantastic food served in a huge, insanely busy room. The fried squid is one of the best. Ever been?

    ReplyDelete